The Japan Foundation is an organisation promoting cultural exchange between Japan and other countries in order to advance international mutual understanding. The Japan Foundation, Toronto is an office of 10 full-time staff, offering programs grouped under three main areas: Japanese-Language Education, Japanese Studies and Intellectual Exchange, and Arts and Cultural Exchange.
This job posting is for a full-time Program Officer position for a period of two years, renewable up to four years. This position is responsible for the administration of Audio-Visual related grant programs, PR and Media Relations including website maintenance, and also has extensive responsibilities with the organisation of Japanese film-related events.
- Administration of programs in the Audio-Visual and Publications fields including film and media projects, film festivals and film screenings throughout Canada
- PR/Media relations –website maintenance, event promotion, writing and distributing press releases, contact with the media
- Local Grant Programs and Local Projects – cooperation events and group visits, publication grants
- Administration of Artistic and Cultural Exchange Programs including exhibitions, performing arts and other cultural exchange events and projects (working with other Program Officers)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- English language: professional level in both written and oral communication
- Strong computer skills (including page layout software, website maintenance)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Able to travel for business
- Knowledge of film community and film-related events in Canada
- Educational background in Film Studies
- Knowledge of Japanese films and media art
- Knowledge of Japanese language is not obligatory but is an asset
- Knowledge of French language is not obligatory but is an asset
- PR management for events
- Experience in event management
- Demonstrated interest in Japanese culture
The Japan Foundation established a Toronto Office in November 1990, and its status was upgraded to that of a Cultural Centre in April 1995. To accommodate the expanded operations, a facility was established in the Colonnade at 131 Bloor Street West.
The Japan Foundation, Toronto houses a library, seminar rooms and an event hall, which functions as an exhibition space or auditorium. The public-lending library has approximately 15,000 Japan-related print and audio-visual materials in its collection. Events, such as art exhibitions, film screenings and lectures, are presented year round.
The Japan Foundation, Toronto activities cover not only activities held in our centre but those inside Toronto and all across Canada. A large portion of The Japan Foundation, Toronto activities also involve the administration of its grant programs.
Deadline: Monday, December 13, 2010
Position Available: January 2011
For more information, visit the website.
Please send submissions by Monday, December 13, 2010 to:
131 Bloor St. W, Suite 213