The Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter is a non-profit organization of Chinese Canadians in Toronto that promotes equity, social justice and inclusive civic participation. CCNCTO is looking for a dynamic individual to assist with new projects, one of which includes creating and animating discussions on environmental conservation in the Chinese community in Toronto. This particular project seeks to understand and address issues that contribute to the underrepresentation of the Chinese community in typical local conservation and stewardship events through research and training to encourage involvement and leadership in the environmental sector.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director to develop community capacity and further the mission of CCNCTO.
To conduct the following under supervision by the Executive Director:
• Providing hands-on project management and coordination on various assigned initiatives, including:
• Coordinating, delivering and tracking projects as well as monitoring progress and
assessing achievement of expected results (project evaluation)
• Recruiting participants, volunteers and other interested stakeholders
• Organizing and facilitating focus groups, workshops/seminars and other events related
to project research and implementation
• Developing and delivering communications, through media, online and other means
• Reporting project status to inform of progress, challenges and results.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Conducting media scans and engaging in community/stakeholder outreach
• Other logistical duties supporting the delivery of programs and services by the organization.
• Post-secondary degree related to environmental conservation and planning, settlement work, education, or social work (or equivalent experience)
• Environmental Issues: Knowledge of local environmental issues and opportunities, and
Environmental NGOs; experience working on environmental conservation or environmental education projects;
• Chinese Canadian Community: Thorough knowledge of Chinese Canadian community and resources available in the City of Toronto; knowledge of unemployment and underemployment issues in the Chinese community; knowledge of local Chinese newspapers and other media;
• Program and Project Planning: Experience conducting community outreach and community development activities; experience in project and budget management; ability to provide direction and support to participants, volunteers and other staff; organizational, communications and time management skills as well as strong attention to detail; strong computer literacy including experience working with social media.
• Ability to communicate effectively in one or more Chinese dialects (Mandarin, Cantonese) required
Experience working with volunteers, non-profit organizations, advocacy groups is a strong asset
• Commitment to the principles of anti-oppression, equity and civic engagement
• Ability to frequently work evenings and occasional weekends required
Duration: 9 month contract, 30 hours/week (flexible, some evening and weekend work is required)
Deadline for application: March 6, 2012 at 5pm
Anticipated start date: March 12, 2012
Please send cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Hiring Committee, Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter (CCNCTO)
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: 416-979-3936
By mail: 215 Spadina Avenue – Suite 124
CCNC Toronto Chapter is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from visible minority groups, First Nations People, women, and people with disabilities.
We thank all applicants but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.