The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival’s UNSUNG VOICES YOUTH VIDEO PRODUCTION WORKSHOP will provide young Asian Canadians with a keen interest in film the necessary skills to express themselves as artists, learn from professionals in the field, and to produce a distinctly Asian Canadian story.
Select Asian Canadian youth, who may otherwise not be have the opportunity to engage in filmmaking or animation, will be provided the means for producing their own film (8 mins maximum) or animation (2 mins maximum), in any genre (fiction, documentary, experimental). Each work will be produced with fellow workshop participants and within the community. The entire video + animation collection will receive a worldwide premiere at the 19th Annual Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival in November 2015 and may be considered for additional national and international screenings.
- There is no fee required to apply to the workshop program
- Basic production costs will be provided during the sessions
- Workshop will be conducted in downtown Toronto in July and early September 2015 (approximately 12 workshop dates, excluding shooting days, Orientation and Final sessions)
- Participants will learn the necessary skills to complete a video or animation (stop motion) production successfully:
- Technical (writing, visual storytelling, image creation, and non-linear digital editing)
- Creative (critical thinking skills about filmmaking and arts practice)
- Management (team leadership, working in groups, planning for production)
The process is intentionally multi-faceted. By encouraging new work with a uniquely Asian Canadian perspective, new media works by young filmmakers who represent the community will contribute to diverse voices and content on screen.
Fill out this application form in full before Monday, June 15, 2015 – 5pm
Check out the 2013 Unsung Voices trailer.
Click here for photos from the 2014 Unsung Voices world premiere screening!
The Summer Youth Video Production Workshop is a collaboration between Reel Asian and Charles Street Video.
Thank you to our Sponsors: