The Images Festival is seeking applications for a Print Production Coordinator. Deadline October 8th, 2010.
The Images Festival, based in Toronto and now in its 24th year, features Canadian and international film, video and related new media, installations and live performances.
Our 10-day festival combines theatrical exhibitions with gallery-based media art installations and features symposia, artist retrospectives, special curated programs and publications alongside an annual selection of artist film and video. North America’s largest exhibitor of independent and experimental moving image culture is seeking a Print Production Coordinator. Images is a dynamic annual forum for excellence and innovation in the media arts.
The Print Production Coordinator will work in a collaborative environment to plan and execute a successful 2011 Festival (31 March to 09 April) involving multiple exhibition sites and events with artists, the public, corporate and community partners. Images is a dynamic workplace and annual forum for excellence and innovation in the contemporary media arts.
This five-month contract position acts as the coordinator for the annual Images Festival publications, working closely with the staff and festival designer to ensure timely and accurate delivery of our 2011 festival catalogue and all print materials.Familiarity with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures is required. A degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
The Print Production Coordinator’s responsibilities include:
Layout and pre-press
* Creating and modifying files in Adobe CS 4 on a Mac platform (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat), including prepping files for print delivery as well as electronic and web-based formats;
* Creating and managing Print Production critical path and timeline;
* Organizing catalogue pagination in consultation with festival staff;
* Colour correction, checking digital files;
* Interacting regularly with festival designer and staff regarding design & timeline;
* Communicating and coordinating with staff, advertisers and sponsors for material, program copy and logos;
* Communicating with all festival artists for copy, images and logos;
* Communicating to ensure that timing and quality expectations are met;
* Coordinating and acting as a liaison between staff, copywriter, proofreader & designer;
* Prepare galleys for press.
* Collecting and distributing quotes from printers;
* Planning print projects for the most practical and cost effective method of production, using internal and external resources.
Production and Delivery
* Responsible for press approvals, quality control to ensure deadlines are met;
* Preparing and distributing regular status reports;
* Coordinating with printer regarding press runs and delivery logistics;
* Discussing advance sales venue catalogue placement with pick-up venues before going to print with festival, calculating print run;
* Assisting with coordination/distribution and mailing of catalogues.
* Maintaining accurate records for archives;
* Performing additional support tasks during festival;
* Assisting in planning and execution of catalogue launch event and distribution of materials.
Qualifications: Experience, Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
* Minimum two (2) years experience with estimating, production planning or related graphic communications industry experience;
* Strong knowledge of print production process;
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, Entourage) and Adobe CS 4 (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat);
* Comfortable working in a fast paced and challenging environment;
* Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team setting;
* Organized, detail oriented and able to problem solve;
* Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize;
* Able to work flexible hours when needed;
* Must be able to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
* Strong communication, written and organizational skills are imperative.
* This is a five-month contract with a combination of 2 and 3 days per week.
* Total contractor compensation is 6,000-7,000$ (approx. 325 hours over 20 weeks)
Deadline: Friday October 8, 2010 @ 5:00 PM
Start date: November 2010
Kindly apply in writing and note where you saw this posting in your cover letter:
The Images Festival
448-401 Richmond Street
Toronto Ontario M5V 3A8
Fax (416) 971 7412
Email: images @ imagesfestival.com (please attach PDF or RTF files only)
NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE
*The Images Festival is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the festival please visit our website at www.imagesfestival.com
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.