The 29th San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival (SFIAAFF) has announced their programming! This annual event is the largest and most prestigious of its kind and we often look to them for inspiration and advice (just like an older sibling). This stellar event is taking place March 10-20, 2011 — check it out if you can!
We are thrilled to announce SUITE SUITE CHINATOWN, our special commissioned project from 2010 Reel Asian will be making a tour stop in San Francisco on March 14 with Directors Heather Keung, Aram Siu Wai Collier, Lillian Chan in attendance and Toronto-based composer Arthur Yeung performing with local San Fran musician Jack Tong. Click here for more details.
Other Reel Asian films and filmmakers that will be presenting work at SFIAAFF:
- Nature on Its Course (Dir. Su-An Ng, winner of Reel Asian’s 2010 Animasian Award)
- I’m in the Mood for Love (Dir. Jason Karman, also directed 2008 Reel Asian film State of Yo)
- Junko’s Shamisen (Dir. Sol Friedman, winner of Reel Asian’s 2010 Movieola Best Short Film or Video Award)
- Hang in There (Dir. Leslie Supnet, 2009 & 2010 Reel Asian filmmaker)
- Dooman River (Dir. Lu Zhang, 2010 Reel Asian feature)
- Bi, Don’t be Afraid (Dir. Phan Dang Di, 2010 Reel Asian feature)
- Affliction (Yanggaw) (Dir. Richard Somes, 2009 Reel Asian feature)
- Surrogate Valentine (Dir. Dave Boyle, also directed 2009 Reel Asian film White on Rice; leading actor Goh Nakamura also performed at Live Score, Reel Asian’s first live music showcase in 2006)
- Saigon Electric (Dir. Stephane Gauger, also directed 2007 Reel Asian film Owl & Sparrow)
Other Canadian works to watch for:
- Amin (Dir. Shahin Parhami)
- Hovering Proxies (Dir. Oliver Husain)
- Gophers in Space (Dir. Shannonn Ang)
Reel Asian will be representing Asian Canadian works down there too! We look forward to meeting and speaking with all the talented artists participating this year…stay tuned for our updates once we are in Cali!