Hot Docs is North America’s hottest documentary film festival and returns for its 21st year from April 24 – May 4. In and around the office and theatres, the festival relies on countless volunteers to help the festival run smoothly. They are currently looking for volunteer production assistants, camera operators and editors to document special events and screenings – a great opportunity for film and video students to gain more experience. Equipment will be provided at the start of each shift.
1. A solid understanding of how to operate a DSLR cameras and lenses; experience with the following is considered an asset: Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 5D Mark iii and Canon C100/300.
2. Experience with audio recording e.g. Wireless lav, shotgun and Zoom H4N/H6N
3. A positive, friendly and responsible attitude.
4. Careful attention to detail and 100% reliability a must
5. An interest in documentary film and getting involved with the second largest documentary festival in the world!
Commitment and Benefits
We require a minimum commitment of 5 full days (must be available for 12 hours on each of those days), from April 24 – May 4, 2014. Preference will be given to those who are available for the FULL 10 shooting days of the festival. In exchange, you will receive a 2014 Hot Docs Staff Pass, providing access to all Festival events and screenings as well as special industry events and services. Courtesy passes, which can be shared with family and friends, will be provided for any shift over and above the minimum commitment.
How to Apply
1. Send an e-mail to Hot Docs Volunteer Office at email@example.com providing your full name, email address and phone number. Please include a CV and cover letter outlining your interest in this project, as well as your availability for late March and early April, by Friday, March 28.
2. If selected, you will receive a confirmation email with additional information on a technical orientation session to be held prior to the festival.