The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival’s Unsung Voices: Youth Video Production Workshop will provide young Asian Canadians with a keen interest in film the necessary skills to express themselves as artists, learn from professionals in the field, and to produce a distinctly Asian Canadian story.
Select youth, who may otherwise not be have the opportunity to engage in filmmaking, will be provided the means for producing their own film (8 mins maximum), in any genre (fiction, documentary, experimental). Each work will be produced with fellow workshop participants and within the community. The entire collection of films will receive a world premiere at the 22nd Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival in November 2018 and may be considered for additional national and international screenings.
Application Deadline: Sunday, May 20th, 11:59pm
To learn more about this program, come for our Unsung Voices Info Session on Monday May 7th to meet instructors and past participants.
Sign up for our info session here.
- There is no fee required to apply to the workshop program
- Participants must be between ages 18–25
- Basic production costs will be provided during the sessions
- Workshop will be conducted in downtown Toronto in the summer of 2018 (approximately 12 workshop dates, excluding shooting days, orientations & final sessions)
- Participants will learn the necessary skills to complete a video production successfully:
- Technical (writing, visual storytelling, image creation, non-linear digital editing)
- Creative (critical thinking skills about filmmaking & arts practice)
- Management (team leadership, working in groups, planning for production)
- Personal external harddrive required (minimum: 500GB – 1TB, Ideal: 2 External harddrives, both 500GB – 1TB)
The process is intentionally multi-faceted. By encouraging new work with a uniquely Asian Canadian perspective, new media works by young filmmakers who represent the community will contribute to diverse voices and content on screen.
All sessions are mandatory:
- June 4 – 15: Writing & Pre-production (2 sessions per week)
- June 18 – 29: Camera, Lighting, Sound, Editing (3 sessions per week)
- July 2 – August 31: Filming & Production Period
*Specific dates TBA. Timeline subject to change. All sessions/classes are from 10:30am to 2:30pm.
Have any additional questions? Contact:
Unsung Voices Coordinator